Assignment 8 - for Monday, 21 November:
On Monday, come prepared to discuss the following:
1) FILM: Battle of Algiers (La Battaglia di Algeri) (dir. Gillo Pontecorvo) (1966)
complete film with English subtitles available here: http://youtu.be/hyi5MOtgxSQ
2) READING: Judt, pp. 278-302 text here: http://www.slavstuff.com/postwar/judtpdf1.pdf - please note: it is a large file that will take a minute or two to download.
PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU FALL ASLEEP
WHILE WATCHING THE FILM, YOU MUST WAKE UP AND WATCH TO THE END! DO NOT COME TO CLASS IF YOU HAVE NOT WATCHED THIS FILM.
ASSIGNMENT 9 - for Wednesday/Thursday, November 23 and 24:
1968 in East and West
1) Reading assignment:
Judt, on the West in 1968: pp. 390-396, pp. 398-401, pp. 422-427
Judt, on Czechoslovakia in 1968: pp. 436-449
2) Documentary film,
Cold War - Red Spring (The 60s)
Please watch only the part on 1968 in Czechoslovakia, minutes 25:40 - to the end (46:22) for your assignment - of course you can watch the whole thing if you want...
3) Document: Ludvík Vaculík, "2000 words": http://www.totalita.cz/txt/txt_2000slovt.php
4) Optional article: Paulina Bren, "1968 East and West: Visions of Political Change and Student Protest from across the Iron Curtain", text available here
5) Optional film for the super-enthusiastic among you:
"LA CHINOISE": If it is possible to download it and you feel like it, I think it would be an interesting view of the radical student atmosphere in France during the period.